Wednesday, September 23, 2009

What's in a name, really?

So as I am preparing to depart from Afghanistan my beloved electric razor died. Well sort of died. It doesn't work anymore. So I have to switch back to the good "old fashioned" super razors and shave gel. There is a product out there, the mach three. Advertised as "triple blades provide the closest shave possible". What is doesn't advertise is that it is strictly for dudes. Sorry ladies, no mach three for you. But what did the manufacturer do...they made a lady version. It is called the "venus trio" or something lame. Well, when old faithful died I went to the very small shoppette here to buy a new razor. My choices?... one of those multi packs of "cut your face to shreds" disposable razors or... that's right... the venus trio. At first I protest. They HAVE to have other razors, right? No. So I buy the "slice your own face beyond recognition" disposable ones and use them exactly once. After almost bleeding to death (and refusing to shave my jugular) I went pack to the shoppette and admitted defeat.

I fought it for a while as I stood in the shoppette but finally sink into the fact that I have to buy a lady razor to shave my face. My life sucks...(not really, but buying a lady razor isn't a high point). I finally convince myself that the venus trio is just the same as the mach three but slightly different... yeah, slightly for GIRLS!!! My manhood just died a bit as I went to the check out counter and paid $7.40 for the lady razor. Not only do I now have to use a lady razor to shave...I had to pay for it... and pay way more than I should.

But what's really in a name? So THEY (whoever THEY are anyways) calls this razor the "venus". So what. A venus fly trap is pretty cool, right? It eats bugs. That's kind of manly. Sort of. Ok, now I am just trying to make myself feel better, but I am still shaving with a razor designed for girl's legs and underarms.

A sad day for men everywhere...

No comments: