Sunday, January 4, 2009

The Money Pit...

Well not really. Not so much a money pit, but homeownership is such so fun.

Alright, I realize this post has nothing to do with my workout program (which I will discuss tomorrow) but sometimes life is just too humorous. This past week my mom was here in town from SoCal to celebrate New Years. Well after all the sweat equity Marmie put into Sister #1 and Sister #2’s houses she felt the need to help paint, build or buy something for our house. So while she was here she purchased wood and supplies to build a work bench and storage cabinets in the garage. While I was finishing the storage cabinets I also decided to finish off another project that has been neglected for sometime. When I put the attic ladder up, I took down the molding the surrounded the opening. I figured I could put it back up afterward. Now that “afterwards” has arrived I tried to re-nail the molding back up. Well the nails were not really meant to be used twice. My next move was to cut the penny nails off and glue the molding to the ceiling. Fast forward a bit in this long drawn out story, and there I am with caulking gun in hand applying thick amounts of “liquid nails” to the molding and trying to get it to stick. Attempt after attempt I could not get the molding to stay attached to the ceiling. One such effort left molding falling on my head…sticky side down. As I type, I am picking glue out of my hair like a monkey picking fleas. Except glue probably taste better than fleas. But after a good shower I think most of the glue is out but thanks to gravity, now pieces of glue are now stuck in my leg hair. I finally got the molding to stay on the ceiling, and it really looked great except due to the attic ladder the molding doesn’t exactly like it did. So when the molding was finally up there, it looked great except for two big gaps where the molding pieces didn’t fit. End result: the molding is covered in 8oz of liquid nails caulking glue and is sitting in the trashcan awaiting collection in the morning. I figured if I really want molding I would measure the new size and buy new molding. As for now, I still have glue in my hair and my white garage ceiling has yellow liquid nails glue all over the attic opening.

Ok, I realize this little tale of home ownership was a lot cleverer in my head than it turned out on paper. But that is more your loss than mine.

I will return with 2009, the year of the Super Man tomorrow.
Until then, peace out.

1 comment:

Goes On Runs said...

dummy. always ask first.... your dad was not a contractor.