Thursday, February 26, 2009

Ahh, shin splints...my old friend

The wifey asked me about yesterday's blog title... funny I thought she would remember it since it was a reference to the Fall Out Boy Concert we went to... but she doesn't remember so good.
Before the song "I don't care" they played what I call Church music and one of the guys said that the band wasn't just here to play music. They wanted to bring healing into our troubled lives.  One of the guys asked people what their biggest problem in life was. After the person told him he said he could solve their problem and shouted "I don't care!".  He did this a few times "solving" each person's problems with "I don't care!".  So I figured I would give it a shot and see if it would help my work situation.  And I think it has.
Today...well what a day.  If you look to the right you will see that I did a lot today.  My new rule in regards to the gym. The only way I am allowed to get there is to run there.  If I am fortunate enough to get a ride back then so be it, but I have to run to the gym if I want to go in it. Why catch a ride back? Too much running will cause me to get hurt.  And running 2.5 miles isn't that bad. Running 5 miles can be. And lastly if I run to the gym I get sweaty but I have time to cool down while I am there. When I run back to work I get sweaty but I have no real cool down period. Once back at work it is time to shower and change.  Cold showers help cooling the core temperature but not well enough. It is common for guys to still be sweating for like an hour after they stop running. I don't want to be sitting at my desk dripping sweat. Gross.
Anyways, while running to the gym today I noticed that friendly pain creeping back into my shins.  I need to ice it and relax some, but isn't that why God made the weekend? I will take the weekend off of running and try to ice my shins some. 
Anyways, pain usually is a sign of injury so tonight's question is what is the worst injury you have had? Mine, umm nothing serious just a lot of small things over my life time.  I've been: dropped on my head (big sis aka: goes on runs), hit in the head with a metal bat, punched in the face...more than I can count, kicked/hit/punched in the groin numerous times; I have recieved: concussions...yes, scars...you bet, stress fractures...yes but that sounds really wimpy compared to the rest of my list, brusied bones...that too; I have: cut a finger off, stabbed my self in the foot with a knife,  used the top of my head to break bricks and cinder blocks;  the wifey says I spontaneously bleed at night... but... with all that I have never been in a hospital over night (not counting being a baby) and I have never broken a bone in my body.  (knock on wood)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!